Keyword Search

Aberlleiniog Castle

Description

Aberlleiniog Castle

Eleventh Century Origins 

You are looking at the remains of a motte and bailey castle. It was built around 1088 by invading Norman forces under the control of Marcher Lord, Hugh of Chester, and his Commander of Troops, Robert of Rhuddlan. 

The motte is the dome-shaped, artificial earth mound. A timber fort would have originally stood on top of the motte. The bailey extends in an apron' shape. 

Prince of Gwynedd, Gruffydd ap Cynan, ousted the Normans from Aberlleiniog Castle c.1094, at the 'Battle of Aberlleiniog'. Gruffydd biography (written by an anonymous author) describes how he. with the help of 120 men and 14 youths', besieged and turned the cattle.

Seventeenth Century Scandals! 

 

The abandoned remains of the castle were refortified in the seventeenth century, and by 1646 it was iii the possession of a certain Thomas Cheadle. 

A notorious character, Cheadle's various occupations included land agent and legal representative of the Bulkeley family, Deputy Constable of Beaumaris Castle and pirate! Between 1646 and 1653 (the year he died) Cheadle had served three jail terms for treason and debt! 

 

The castle became known as 'Lady Cheadle's Fort', after Lady Anne, the wife Cheadle's employer, Sir Richard Bulkeley 4th. It is alleged that Cheadle and Lady Anne had an affair, and, following Sir Richard's mysterious death, they were tried for his murder. They were acquitted, however, and went on to marry! 

During the Civil War, Aberlleiniog Castle took part in the siege of Beaumaris Castle. It hosted Parliamentary forces soon after 1646, before being besieged by Royalist forces, under Colonel John Robinson, in the short-lived rebellion of 1648.

Archaeology.

Archaeological investigation carried out during the conservation and access improvement work yielded some interesting finds. These included a lead musket ball, a coin dated 1701 (when the reigning monarch was King William Ill), a copper-alloy button, clay tobacco pipe stems, oyster and limpet shells, animal bone and fragments of pottery. The finds date from the time of the Civil War in the mid-seventeenth century, and after 1700, when the castle was rebuilt in stone as a folly. 

 

Geophysical Survey 

A geophysical survey was undertaken before the work to improve access began. It revealed an apparent entrance into the bailey from the slope to the south, and what could be the foundations of a number of buildings or a 'road' into the bailey area. 

Conservation 

When Menter Mon took over, the site was concealed by vegetation, and the stone fort was in very poor condition and was in danger of collapsing. A project to restore it took place in 2007 / 2008, which was funded by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Cadw. The method of restoration was designed specifically for the site, and combined modern building practices with traditional techniques. The towers and the walls were supported by external scaffolding and bracing, before being dismantled, by hand, in stages. The 'fill' material inside the towers was removed, and replaced by a strengthening refill made of concrete interlaced with steel. The towers and walls were then rebuilt to their original profiles and dimensions. The successful completion of the conservation project was complemented by a project to improve access to the site. This was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Cadw, the Sustainable Development Fund (a Welsh Assembly Government initiative in the Isle of Anglesey Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), and Cydcoed (a Forestry Commission Wales project funded by the European Union Objective 1 and the Welsh Assembly Government). The creation of the new footpaths, bridges and boardwalks enabled the site to be opened up to the public for the first time in living memory.

Location

Anglesey
Llangoed Beaumaris LL58 8RY

Comments